Can I Sue My Employer?

Workers' compensation insurance provides you with invaluable benefits if you suffer a work-related injury. It covers your medical expenses and provides you with a portion of your income, among other things depending on your situation. Realistically, those benefits may not be enough to cover the losses you face because of your injuries.

You may wonder whether you could sue your employer in order to seek more and different damages. Generally, you can't sue your employer in exchange for workers' compensation benefits. However, if someone other than your employer caused your injury, you may be able to file a third-party claim along with your workers' compensation claim. Call Jonathan H. Poznansky, Attorney at Law, at 347-201-7696 to schedule a free initial consultation to find out. Our lawyers represent clients who work in Staten Island and Brooklyn in New York, including clients who commute from New Jersey.

Who Qualifies As A Third Party?

Third parties include anyone who doesn't work for your employer, including:

  • Contractors
  • Vendors
  • Equipment manufacturers
  • Property owners
  • Other drivers in motor vehicle accidents

For instance, a road construction worker struck by a motorist has a claim for workers' compensation benefits, but may also have a claim against the driver of the vehicle who struck him or her.

What Damages Could You Seek From A Third Party?

Filing a personal injury claim allows you to collect money for damages not covered by workers' compensation, including the following:

  • Any lost wages not covered by workers' compensation
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of consortium
  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of enjoyment of life

The damages you may pursue depend on your situation, the severity of your injuries and other factors.

Let Jonathan H. Poznansky, Attorney At Law, Advocate For You

The last thing you need to worry about as you recover from your injuries is how you will pay your bills and support yourself and your family. Contact Jonathan H. Poznansky, Attorney at Law, at 347-201-7696 or through our online contact form to see how we can help you through this difficult time.